"But, you know, the life that we had, I mean, that was amazing, too, and it wasn’t a spell or a prophecy. It was real. We fell in love on our own. We had ups and downs, we fought. We changed, both of us. We grew, and we grew apart, but that is real. I mean, that’s life."
idk about them being endgame but it still would make sense because if anything seasons 3-5 have emphasized the differences between stefan and elena’s relationship and damon and elena’s relationship
damon and elena are:
- damon is unsupportive of elena
- he doesnt know how to talk to her or comfort her
- actually he doesnt know how to do anything with her
- other than fight or have sex
- he lashes out impulsively and hurts her family and friends
- he is selfish, especially in terms of her (i.e., not letting her go, being with her despite knowing about sire bond, doing blood sharing even though she was with stefan, etc etc)
- he doesnt respect elena’s decisions
- damon is so emotionally immature that he cant fathom what it means to unconditionally love someone, even if that means not being with them in the way you want to be. even if that means that you have to let them go and just be happy for them. even if that means that they break up with you, you respect them ANYWAY.
stefan and elena are:
- they get along, they had similar interests, morals, goals and outlooks on life
- stefan pushes her to be the best she can be, to fight for what she believes in and to achieve what she wants
- stefan respects her choices even if he doesnt agree
- stefan protected her family and friends because he knew how important they were to elena
- stefan fought compuslion for elena because he loved her THAT much.
- stefan doesnt blame elena even though she chose his brother despite all his prior insecurities and fears that history would repeat
- infact, stefan is friends with elena. because he would rather have elena in his life in a small way than not have elena in his life at all.
- stefan and elena fell in love by their selves, stefan made her happy, he made her smile, he helped her achieve the reality she wanted
- stefan loves her so unconditionally that he supports her happiness, even if that means she is not with him. even if that means she is with his brother. he just wants her to be loved and happy.
- the love they had for each other was pure and real. they went through hell for each other, they believed in each other and they will never stop loving each other.
It’s enough, just to find love. It’s the only thing to be sure of. So hard to let go of, a thousand times or more. I was close to a fault line, Heaven knows you showed up in time. Was it real? Now I feel, like I’m never coming down.
Someone’s always going to be looking out for me now, no matter what.
Well. I’m stuck with him, aren’t I? Might as well put him to some kind of use.